Monday, February 4, 2008

Underappreciated Prince of Techno #1

My fellow Kharkovites think of 2 Unlimited whenever I talk techno. They think boobies and party, boom boom boom boom. But I remember time in Detroit listening to Derrick May and Juan Atkins. Over in Western Europe, Derrick May, Juan and Carl Craig have received the recognition that they deserve, but there are a few Detroit artists whose musical promise and passion have yet to be acknowledged and discovered.


So I present to you Anthony Shakir, aka "Shake". You can hear echoes of funk, blues, the melancholy of the detroit cityscape and futuristic techno in his music. Shake's tracks do not shout, but have a strong rhythmic presence all their own. "Fact Of The Matter" was released in 1998 on his "Tracks For My Father" EP. Songs like this make me nostalgic for those moments of musical discovery on Nine Mile.

Mitzvah #4:
Anthony Shakir - Tracks For My Father

No comments: